3.17.2009

Rustbelt to Weedbelt

SO did anybody catch the article last week in the Economist about the legalization of marijuana in the states? If not, I'm amazed because it burned through the blogosphere like a wildfire in July after a severe drought. The article, or issue rather, was no doubt spurred on by severe drug wars going on in Mexico and South America right now, the Economist offers reasons why marijuana should be legalized and regulated in the States. Now I"m not going to offer my opinion on this because frankly I don't have one, I could really care less either way. However what really interests me, are the consequences of marijuana legalization on our urban fabric, particularly that of the Rustbelt city and other inner city locations.

We all know Urban Agriculture is the big thing these days, hailed to save our urban youth by offering values, safe havens, and job training. My question is, what will happen to these urban farms when we legalize marijuana. I don't know the answer, and I am not implying there is one answer, I just think it's an incredibly interesting question, and so I thought I would poss it to the community here at Where. I mean, the inner city has historically been plagued with drug crime and addiction but perhaps the legalization of marijuana could offer a way out? I mean, the urban farms, the knowledge of agriculture is already there, and certainly the abandoned lots are there, and the drug colonies are there. On the other hand, maybe it would be a terrible thing leading people to dependency and bigger addictions. Either way it's a compelling situation to ruminate on. Rustbelt - Weedbelt. Discuss.


(Collage created by author from online media. The original full-sized color version can be viewed by clicking the photo.)

3 comments:

damon said...

i catch tt article, quite interesting. but i didnt know those farms r within the urban areas and simply not familiar with e industry at all...but is urban-farming a good choice to realize e land value...any cases?

Anonymous said...

"Now I"m not going to offer my opinion on this because frankly I don't have one, I could really care less either way. However what really interests me, are the consequences of marijuana legalization on our urban fabric,"
I wonder: Are you missing the bigger picture? (drug wars, addiction, etc)
How is it possible not to care about something but be interested by its outcomes?

G(Riot) is the Serious Black said...

I believe you've hit the nail on the head in the sense that legalization would free up a lot of land and, moreover, jolt urban residents into at least conceptualizing the resources currently used in watering lawns and other unsustainable landscaping practices. Wonder how a full-blown garden will affect real-estate prices.

I hate to say, but thinking about the issue of urban gardening was completely simplified looking through the lens of the drug culture. Connection to the land is a good thing thing, even in the city.